October 2021

Year 8 Rugby: Win for Withernsea

Last night, Tuesday 5th October, the Year 8 Rugby team beat Holderness Academy 28 - 22. 

Mr Mountain, Teacher of Sport, has provided the following match report. 

'On a wet and windy Tuesday afternoon, Withernsea travelled to Holderness Academy looking for their first win of the year.

This did not look like it was going to be the case when soft defending and errors allowed Holderness to gain a 12-0 lead after just five minutes. After this, the Withernsea boys showed some determination and character - starting with a good run from L. Betts – who gained some much-needed metres.

On the back of this, J. Law scored a try after nice work from L. McFarlane and some good passing down the line to make it 12-4. Withernsea then got another try when a kick from J. Law was spilled, after some strong defence, allowing Z. Smith to score. A successful conversion made the game 12-10 at half time.

At the start of the second half, Withernsea came out strong with some excellent drives from S. Robinson, G. Wheal and S. Smith. These helped put Withernsea on the front foot and J. Law was able to smartly spot a gap from a tap restart to edge Withernsea in front before converting his own try 12-16.

Holderness then levelled with a good try of their own down the left-hand side to make it 16-16. After this try, M. Beedham stepped up with a tactical kick off which saw Withernsea receive the ball back, with some good runs from W. Giddings, A. Oglesby and especially A. Jackson, that saw Withernsea get a penalty 10m away from the home sides’ line. A quick tap saw the ball fed to ‘the gentle giant’ S. Smith for him to power over for a well-deserved try, and the conversion was successful 16-22.

A great kick off from Holderness saw them regain possession and although Withernsea made several excellent tackles via k. Ratcliffe, J. Newton, L. Wheat, they just could not keep out the on-rushing Holderness player bringing the scores level 22-22.

M. Beedham again stepped up with his trusted left foot and produced a great kick which skidded across the wet ground causing the player to knock on. Following on from this, Withernsea pressed hard and after the impressive G. Wheal drove the ball close to the line, the lively hooker L. McFarlane spotted a gap and put Withernsea in front with a smart instinctive try which was converted 22-28.

Withernsea then defended for their lives and worked for one another to keep the Holderness attack at bay. During this period, there was some great one-on-one defending by several players and some great team efforts.
In the final play of the game, Holderness tried a long kick and chase but A. Jackson capped an excellent defensive display by running back and calmly gathering the ball to relieve any danger.

Special mention to M. Wriglesworth who agreed to play out of position to help his team. With his constant interaction and assistance of his teammates, along with some excellent defence, he is really becoming a leader in this team.'

- Report by Mr Mountain


The Withernsea team were... 

M. Beedham

K. Ratcliffe

L. Betts

S. Robinson

B. Giddings

S. Smith

A. Jackson

Z. Smith

J. Law

G. Wheal

L. McFarlane

L. Wheat

A. Oglesby

M. Wriglesworth

The tries were scored by J. Law (x2), Z. Smith, S. Smith and L. McFarlane.